How To Renew Your Tennessee Drivers License
Do you need to renew your drivers license in Tennessee? We've collected useful and up-to-date information to help save you time when renewing your drivers license. Select from the options below to get started.
Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.
2: By mail
Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.
3: Via a DMV office
If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.
If it is the driver's first time renewing his or her Tennessee license, they must renew in person. Others may renew online or by mail.
Renewing Your License Online
Online renewal is probably the easiest and most convenient way to renew your Tennessee drivers license. License holders can renew their Tennessee drivers license through this method if their license has been expired for less than five years. Below are the steps to renew the Tennessee drivers license:
- Make sure you have your mailing address, date of birth, license number and Social Security number (last four digits only)
- Payment with MasterCard, Visa, American express or Discover card
- Visit the Tennessee drivers license renewal website and follow the instructions given.
Renewing Your Tennessee Drivers License In Person
Renewing a Tennessee drivers license in person is usually required if it is the first time a driver renews his or her license. When applying for renewal in person, there are four simple steps that should be followed:
- A proof of citizenship or proof of residency must be presented.
- Pay the fee
- Take the photo and provide your signature
- A license that has been expired for five years or more will require that the applicant must pass the written and vision exam and the driving test.
Renewing Your License By Mail
This type of renewal is only applicable for people who are out-of-state or are military personnel. To renew the license by mail, a driver must write a letter to the DSD and follow these steps:
- Letter should indicate date of birth, full name and drivers license number
- Must have notarized copy of a valid proof of identity
- Must have proof of why license holder is not able to renew in person. This can include military orders, military ID, letters from the church or from employer.
- Include a money order or check to pay the renewal fee.
- Send the application and documentation to the DOS address:
Tennessee Department of Safety
P.O. Box 560
Nashville, TN 37243-00.
For a list of related services, see below: