Tennessee Salvage Title

In the state of Tennessee, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your automobile is in an accident. If your insurance claims the total loss or the word salvage has been stamped on the title, it is illegal to operate your vehicle on any road in Tennessee. What this means is that your original registration on your vehicle has been cancelled, and you'll need to remove your plates off your automobile.

If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a TN Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways. Please note that your vehicle can't be re-titled until it passes a Salvage Inspection.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a DMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Tennessee Salvage Titles

In the state of Tennessee, a vehicle is deemed a total loss by an insurance company if repairing or rebuilding the vehicle is 75 percent or more of the market value as determined by your insurance company. Once claimed as a total loss, your salvaged vehicle will be assigned a TN Salvaged Title. The car must be rebuilt or restored and pass inspection before it can be registered to be driven on the highways.

Tennessee Salvage Certificate of Title

Once your insurance company deems your vehicle a total loss, you can apply for a TN Salvage Vehicle Certificate of Title through your local Tennessee Department of Revenue Motor Vehicles Division branch. Once the DOR processes the information, if you were indicated as the owner of the salvaged vehicle by your insurance agency, you will be sent your salvage title in the mail.

Tennessee Salvage Inspection

In the state of Tennessee, once you have repaired or restored your salvaged vehicle to operable condition for the highway, the vehicle will have to pass a salvage inspection performed by the Tennessee Special Investigations Anti-theft Unit. Once completed, you may convert your TN Salvage Title to a Rebuilt Salvage Title. (Please refer to section "Rebuilt Title" for inspection information).

Tennessee Salvage Title to Rebuilt Salvage Certificate of Title

Upon completion of your salvaged vehicle restoration and passing the salvage inspection, you can then convert your TN Salvage Title to a TN Rebuilt Salvage Title. To acquire your Rebuilt Title, you'll need to complete a Salvage Certificate of Title along with a signed and notarized Application for Motor Vehicle Identification Certification. You will also have to include colored photographs of the vehicle in its wrecked condition, receipts for all parts replaced, and pay a $75 fee to the Tennessee Special Investigations Anti-theft Unit.

The documents can be mailed or dropped off at your local DOR office. For more information, click here. To call with any questions, they can be reached at (615) 253-7246.

If you do choose to deliver by mail, the address is:

Tennessee Department of Revenue
Special Investigations Section Anti-Theft Unit
44 Vantage Way
Suite 160
Nashville, Tennessee 37243

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Tennessee

To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it in Tennessee, you'll have to submit a Request For Verification Ownership On Vehicles Found Abandoned/Immobile Or Unattended form. Once completed, mail it to: Department of Revenue

Vehicle Services Section
44 Vantage Way, Suite 160
Nashville, TN 37243

Include a $1 fee.

Once the request is submitted, the DOR will process the form then inform you of the owner and/or lienholder information (if available). Upon receiving, you must go through the specific steps in order to file for a TN Vehicle Title on the abandoned vehicle. Click here for the official procedures.